Friday 28 May 2021

Professional reading for Hypothesis Generation - #7

My inquiry is targeting progress not only in mathematics;
however, my class and school data show a strong need to address this issue.
Why the majority of our students are underachieving in maths, what can be done differently? 

To help me generate a hypothesis about aspects of teaching that might contribute to current patterns of learning, I referred to a number of professional reading and had a conversation with a cognition maths facilitator Rebecca Bishop.

This video episode is one of the Developing Mathematical Inquiry Communities lessons that I keep referring to.

The pedagogy is consistent with the findings of best evidence syntheses. The lesson shows the main components of the structured maths programme: a teacher-directed Launch, moves into Group Work followed by each group Sharing Back with the whole class. 

I try to implement all of these elements in my class maths programme too and found that it is very difficult to have a whole-class launch or Number Talk with my class as I have learners at Stage 5 and Stage 1-2. So I have to split the class into groups during the explicit teacher teaching time. For problem-solving, I often use Low floor - High ceiling problems so my students could participate and develop their confidence and creativity in maths.



No comments:

Post a Comment