Tuesday 16 June 2020

Professional Reading #1: Closing in on Close Reading by Nancy Boyles

After I have finalised my teaching focus: vocabulary (H-F, word building and meaning), increasing their general knowledge and comprehensive strategies, I referred to research literature to find out the most effective strategies, approaches and tools.

I looked at the professional blogs of my COL colleagues and looked at the research literacy they recommended. I was interested in what approaches can help with the students' vocabulary and text understanding at the same time. 

Article: Closing in on Close Reading by Nancy Boyles

N. Boyles describes three things junior teachers can try to effectively use close reading: 
  • use more short text;
  • aim for independent reading by posing questions that go beyond the content of the text to look at the structure, craft, and integration of ideas throughout the work; 
  • teaching students to observe details clearly in anything they read and analyze how those details work together
I have been using close activities in my teaching practice; however, I now look at them from a slightly different angle. I guess I see more purpose behind this exercise and also some ideas of how to run them more efficiently.
I've noticed there is a big emphasis on sentence structure along with the word choice and comprehension strategies. I'll take this on board and include into my group teaching practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment