Wednesday 18 March 2020

My COL Inquiry 2020

Inquiry: How can I change my practice to raise student achievement in literacy by promoting deep learning that requires students to develop cognitive engagement and critical thinking across the curriculum using Learn-Create-Share?

 As a Year ⅔ teacher, I've now got my new 2020 students who were part of Play-Based Learning last year or a year before. Play-based learning was introduced to GTS a couple of years ago and nobody really knew how to run it effectively. I didn’t feel comfortable with the new arrangements and, after a number of discussions, my colleagues and I began our inquiries into the effective pedagogy: Y0-1 were doing 'free play' for a year, Y2-3 used the Learn-Create-Share model.

 Earlier this year, I analyzed Year 1-3 data from the end of 2017, 2018 and 2019 school years and noticed declining trends in students’ achievements in Reading. Same patterns were found in Writing and Maths data. Most of my year 2 learners are well below the expectations and some of year 3 students are below. Being passionate about all GTS Year ⅔ students, I also looked at two other year ⅔ classes and found the same situation. It formed and started my inquiry with a focus on improving students' outcomes in literacy.

All of my last year target students made accelerated progress and all of them achieved the desired “at and above”. This year, I plan to continue to use the LCS pedagogy to improve outcomes for my and my colleagues’ learners.

I believe that coherence in putting our students at the very centre of their learning and making their learning experiences authentic is crucial for their engagement and achievements. My hunch is that will make a difference.

I will use the Manaiakalani TAI Framework:



2 comments:

  1. Hi Elena,
    I am so excited to read this! I love the statement in BOLD at the bottom.... "I believe that coherence in putting our students at the very centre of their learning and making their learning experiences authentic is crucial for their engagement and achievements." My hunch is that will make a difference." I know you are right!
    We are impressed with the work you are doing around this and I can see easily that it is both a skill and a passion of yours.
    Already you have made an impact with our teachers. And this is only after 7 weeks! Roll on the upcoming months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elena,
    You inspire me. I love how natural it is for you to be able to integrate the learning for the students. I want to be able to do the same in my class. I am excited for your inquiry because I know how driven you are and passionate about integration in learning. Your expertise has rippled through our school our staff members. Thank you for your efforts in building a relationship with the senior end of the school also. You are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete