Monday 30 March 2020

First Days in Lockdown and Distance Teaching

A day before the lockdown, my school was preparing for distance teaching and learning. It was more or less clear for our Year 4-8 classes because their learners had been empowered by being part of the Manaiakalani 1:1 programme and most learners had their own devices.
In Year 0-3 classes we had a different situation with the devices and online learning, so we urgently had to put a plan together on how we could make sure that our students had opportunities to carry on with their learning.

Firstly, I suggested preparing educational packs that were door-delivered to all of our students within the same day. My colleagues and I worked hard to include all individual passwords for the online programmes that we usually used in our classrooms: ixl.com, students blogs, Reading Eggs, Sunshine classics and Matific. We also made sure that we covered all the main curriculum areas and tried to make their activities engaging.

Later on, we received a lot of positive feedback about our learning packs from GTS whanau and students. Some of the activities have not just been used by our Year 0-3 learners but also by their older siblings.




We did what we could to support our learners during the very first days of the lockdown. My question was what to do next?

Teaching and learning from home is a big change. Without a physical classroom, how can I engage my learners and check that students are progressing? How do I stay connected with my learners?

First, I tried to connect with my students and families via e-mails, our class blog and phone calls.  Then, following our Year 4-8's successful example, I promoted Google Hangouts. I had a lot of technical difficulties to get connected with my students and whanau. For many of them, I had to present my screen during the Hangouts and teach step-by-step how to access students' blogs, how to do blog posts, how to find and login into the online programmes. To be honest, sometimes, I felt more a family educator rather than a classroom teacher. I am very glad that I managed to reach the majority of my learners! My distance teaching has begun!

My next steps are: help our junior teachers to reach more of their learners and establish a quality distance learning programme for my class, my team and my syndicate.

2 comments:

  1. You showed incredible leadership during this time. The team (not only those you directly support) were very appreciative of your support and guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The result of your commitment and energy in the early stage of going into lockdown paid off with the amount of students you had working online! Keep up the awesome work with not only your learners, but with our whole team!

    ReplyDelete