Friday 30 October 2020

Collecting and Evaluating Data

Repeated measures/Pre-post design: Compare evidence and data collected before your intervention with evidence and data collected after your intervention. What has changed?

At the beginning of my intervention, I collected student voice about their literacy dispositions.

It was very interesting to see that in Term 1 my students had identified a strong need to focus on learning new vocabulary. However, I also noticed that many of them didn't like to spend more time and effort to understand texts and figure out new words. That showed a lack of motivation and engagement with the text and also a limited range of comprehension strategies.

In Term 4 my students showed more appreciation of text discussions and a deeper understanding of the information read in the text. They said that now they pay more attention to new vocabulary and most of them are willing to explore and use new words and phrases. 

I believe that my students are also equipped with a range of comprehension strategies that I have explicitly taught this year. In fact, I've used a multiple strategy approach using direct explicit teaching, guided instructions, providing texts with multiple encounters of the same words in different contexts, story retelling, implementing drama, use of props and objects, comprehension and vocabulary discussions. I tried to embed vocabulary and comprehension work across the curriculum.

Quantitative data (Running Records):

The data showed that the vast majority of my Y2 and Y3 students have made a great shift in their reading and now achieving 'at or above' the expected levels. 

My T4 'below and well below" students have also shown some progress, all of them have been also working with RTLB and other support programmes. 

My target group has shown great progress in both Reading and Writing and all of the students are working at 'at' and 'above' the expected levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment