Thursday 20 August 2020

Home Learning Round 2

Here we go again... Home Learning round 2! Level 3 caught us in the middle of our exciting LCS Book Week project! The children were disappointed as they were so keen to write a script and perform their new play! I know that some of them continued working on the script during the first days of Level 3. It clearly shows their engagement and genuine interest in their learning.

I'm grateful to our school management as they decided to distribute free loan devices to our Year 2-3 students. It definitely reflected in an increased number of children that I've been seeing online during our Google Meets or working on their learning programmes. Out of 20 children in my Y2-3 class, I normally see 12-14 students twice a day and 18 are actively busy working on their programmes. What a success!

This sudden change in learning environment made me stop and rethink my professional inquiry again. After some consideration, I am determined to continue with my focus on promoting deep learning that requires students to develop cognitive engagement and critical thinking across the curriculum using Learn-Create-Share.

When designing my lessons, I try to ensure that activities are personally meaningful for my students. Last week, we focused on making inferences and sharing our experiences. I believe it helped connect the online learning tasks with students' previous knowledge and experiences in personally relevant ways.

During our google meets I usually focus on questions that encourage deeper reflection and personal responses from my learners and stimulate real, authentic conversations, for example: 'Why do Zebras have stripes?' or ' Are dolphins smart? Why?' I also use these conversations to develop active use of specific vocabulary, collaborative and questioning skills and foster their confidence and curiosity. 

It is so rewarding to see that my students initiate authentic conversations by sharing their topics of interest. They ask questions and give feedback to each other and even plan for the next activities that we could do together during the home learning period.

Examples of student-driven collaborative activities:

- Creating our class digital library (students created read-aloud).

- Creating and playing Kahoots of their interest (rugby, Te Reo, maths, rhymes and alliterations, etc)

- Blogging. Sharing their personal presentations like cooking,  dances and songs, art, stories etc)

- Commenting on each other blogs leaving smart and specific comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment